Sunday, May 13, 2012

Feeding tube.

Claire had a feeding tube placed on wednesday during her recent chemotherapy admission at the hospital. The doctors had been concerned for some time about her weight and about a month ago had brought up inserting a feeding tube. It took me a little while to get on board with it but I decided this was the best decision for Claire's well being. It is called a NG-tube and it not invasive at all. It was inserted by the nurses on the floor. The tube goes up her nose down her throat into her belly. No sedation what so ever was required for this but she was rather upset while it went in. The first time they put it in she pulled it right out. The second time was better and after some precautions that day and night she hasn't touched it much since.

It took a little used to on my part but I've come to terms with it and it is going better than expected. It is tough at home though since no one in my immediate family supports my decision much. Claire was solely breastfed since now with little food intake, hence why the doctors suggested the feeding tube. My mother thinks it is discouraging Claire's breast feeding but it is just taking a little adjusting on her part, more because of her not really knowing what a full belly feels like til now.

She had always been a good eater but ever since this ordeal started her food intake took a backseat to her breast feeding.

I could not be happier with my decision and I am glad I made it.

(Claire is not trying to "eat" or "lick" her feeding tube in the picture she was just making a funny face, lol)

No comments:

Post a Comment